FAQ Index

   About Entrance Examination

About Entrance Examination

English Proficiency

Q. I haven't taken either TOEFL or TOEIC test, but I have an IELTS score. Can I submit my IELTS score?

A. Yes, you can submit your IELTS Score, however, only IELTS (Academic) score will be accepted. Official score of any English proficiency test other than TOEFL, TOEIC and IELTS (Academic) will not be accepted (e.g. Cambridge English, United Nations English Language Proficiency Exam, Eiken etc.).

Q. I have graduated from a university where the language of instruction is English. Should I submit a TOEFL or TOEIC score?

A. If you have earned a bachelor’s degree from a university located in a country in which all instruction is provided in English as the official language, exception may be granted by submitting the graduation certificate and academic transcript. Neither TOEFL nor TOEIC score is required.
However, if the university is in a country in which all instruction is not provided in English as the official language, you are required to submit a document which can certify that the language of instruction is English at the university, as well as the graduation certificate and academic transcript.

Q. I was born and raised in a country in which English is the official language and have graduated a university in Japan where English is NOT the language of instruction. Should I submit a English test score?

A. Applicants who were born and raised in a country in which English is the official language and have earned a bachelor’s degree from a university where English is not the language of instruction are required to submit a TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS (Academic) score.

Q. What are the minimum required scores for TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS?

A. There are no minimum test score requirements to apply for the MBA-IB program. Applicants will be evaluated comprehensively based on their score received from their application documents, English proficiency and interview.

Work Experience

Q. I am an undergraduate student and wish to apply for the MBA-IB program. Can I apply for the program without work experience?

A. MBA-IB program is specifically designed for working professionals, and applicants must have approximately one year or more than one year of work experience at the time of enrollment. Applicants who have no work experience are not eligible to apply.

Q. What kind of work experience do I need?

A. Regardless of industry, work experience includes both full-time and part-time jobs. However, jobs held while being enrolled as a full-time student do not qualify as work experience.

Application Materials

Q. Does the letter of recommendation have to be written in English only? If my supervisor writes it in Japanese, will it be accepted?

A. The recommendation letter may be written in English or Japanese. If the recommendation letter is written in other languages (e.g. Chinese, French etc.), it should be translated into English or Japanese by the third party and be enclosed with the original recommendation letter.

Q. How many recommendation letters can I submit?

A. Only one recommendation letter will be accepted. If you submit more than one, only one letter will be reviewed.

Q. Do you provide a recommendation letter form in the Microsoft Word format? Or, is only the PDF format available?

A. We do not provide the recommendation letter form in the Microsoft Word format. However, it is also fine that the recommender directly types on the PDF file.
In principle, the recommender has to fill out the designated form to answer each question.

Make sure the followings:
(1) the recommender writes his or her signature at the bottom of the designated form
(4) the recommender should put it into an envelope, and the recommender seals it and signs across the seal.

Q. Should I submit my curriculum vitae (CV) with the application documents?

A. You do not need to submit your CV. You are required to submit your general information, academic and professional background by using designated forms. Your CV will not be reviewed even if you submit it.

Q. Can I submit copies of the graduation certificate and academic transcript?

A. You must submit the originals. If you can only submit copies, that should be certified by the university you have graduated or by a public official before submission. In case you submit the certificates with other application documents to the University in person, we may return them after we confirm the documents.


Q. Will the interviews be conducted in English or Japanese?

A.The interviews will be conducted for every applicant in English. Because all courses are offered in English in the Tsukuba MBA-IB program, it is important for us to accurately assess your ability to discuss and communicate with others in a constructive manner using English.

Q. I’m currently living overseas. Should I visit Japan for the interview?

A. We may offer a skype interview only for applicants currently residing overseas. If you wish to take an interview in Tokyo, please request it during the web entry process.

Q. I have to go on an inevitable overseas business trip on the day of the interview. Is there any chance to take an interview via skype while I’m away from Japan?

A.The interview date is specifically determined by the applicant's current residence (overseas or in Japan) at the point of application. Regardless of nationality, all applicants are required to take an interview at the specified time and date, and any individual request about the interview schedule in any circumstances will not be accepted.


Q. What is the approximate ratio of the Japanese and non-Japanese students among the 30 students admitted to the Tsukuba MBA-IB program?

A. Although the approximate ratio of the Japanese and non-Japanese students depends on the applicants' pool, the Admissions Committee will admit students with diverse backgrounds in order to retain a well-balanced and highly diversified student mix in our classrooms. The Admissions Committee will also take each applicant's previous career and experiences, both domestic and overseas, into account. In the past few years, international students have accounted for between 20% and 30%.

Q. Do I need to submit a GMAT score to apply to the MBA-IB Program?

A. No, you do not need a GMAT score to apply to this program.

Q. Is there any chance to be enrolled in autumn other than in April?

A. We only admit students in every April. If you wish to join the MBA-IB program, there will be only one chance in a year.

Q. I want to contact a professor of MBA-IB program.

A. All applicants for the MBA-IB program are not allowed to contact any professors before enrollment.

Q. Does the MBA-IB program accept international research student?

A. We accept NEITHER international research students NOR Japanese research students. If you wish to attend the MBA-IB program, you must follow the standard MBA-IB admissions procedure.

Q. I’m residing overseas. Can I submit my application documents by e-mail?

A. E-mail submission will not be accepted. Please submit it by using a courier service or postal mail. It must be delivered to us by the designated deadline.

About Fees / Financial Support / Scholarship

Q. I have passed the preliminary examination by the Japanese embassy/consulate general for the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) scholarship. How can I obtain a letter of acceptance or a certificate of admission from your university?

A. Due to the differing schedules of the Japanese Government scholarship program and our admissions procedure, the MBA-IB program will not be able to accept international students sponsored by the MEXT scholarship. Those who wish to attend the MBA-IB program must follow the standard MBA-IB admissions procedure. Only successful candidates will receive a letter of acceptance.

Q. What is your matriculation fee and annual tuition?

A. Just for reference, one-time matriculation fee of JPY 282,000 and annual tuition of JPY 535,800 were required for all students enrolling in academic year 2018.

Q. Does the University of Tsukuba provide any financial support for students?

A. Entrance fee exemption and tuition waiver that exempt the entire or half of the tuition fee may be granted to individuals who have difficulty in making payment due to financial problems or any other unavoidable circumstances.

Q. Is there any scholarship programs available for international students?

A. There are a limited number of scholarship programs for high-performing international students (*). Applying for those scholarship programs may be very competitive since there are more than 2,000 international students studying at the University of Tsukuba. Therefore, we would strongly recommend you to prepare enough budget for both tuition and other living expenses.
* “International Student” as is defined here is usually a student who is currently staying or will be staying in Japan under student visa.

Q. I am an international student sponsored by the Japanese government scholarship program and am currently studying at an other university in Japan. Can I apply for the MBA-IB program?

A. Yes, you can apply for the MBA-IB program if you can meet the requirements (see application guidelines). Government-sponsored international student enrolled in a university in Japan may be exempted from paying the application fee.
Please consult with the Academic Service Office (the contact procedure is indicated in the application guidelines) before making the payment of the application fee.

About Classes

Q. I have completed some graduate courses at other universities. Do you accept transfer credits which I earned at other graduate schools?

A. We may accept a limited number of transfer credits for courses from a similar curriculum and/or syllabus. However, it is unlikely that transfer credits for core courses will be accepted.

Q. How many classes should I attend in a week?

A. It depends on which elective courses you would like to take. There isn’t any rule that states how many classes a student must attend in a week. 8 Core courses and 3 Seminars are mandatory for the first year students. Core courses and Seminar I (Group Seminar) are usually held on Saturdays, Seminars except Seminar I will be offered according to the instructor’s schedule. In that case, most of the first year students may come to school 3 to 4 times a week.

Q. Is there a minimum required grade point average to proceed to the business project?

A. The grade point average (GPA) of all required coursework must be 3.0 (B) or above for a student to be allowed to proceed to the business project. Also, please note that in order to successfully complete the MBA-IB program, a student must obtain an overall GPA of 3.0 (B) or above.

Q. Is it possible to take a leave of absence from the program in the event that I am temporarily unable to attend due to work-related conflicts?

A. A leave of absence from the program is allowed on a monthly (minimum 2 months), semester, or yearly basis for a total of two years.

Q. What should I do if I cannot attend a class session or cannot arrive in time for the class due to a business reason(s)?

A. There isn't any rule what students should do if they cannot attend or cannot arrive in time. Most of our students are business professionals. At the point of how the business professionals should act in the similar cases, it would be highly recommended that students contact the course instructor before the class session.

About the Business Project

Q. Can the University arrange a host company for an overseas internship?

A. The University recommends students to apply by themselves to companies which have accepted interns from the program in the past. The faculty will make their best efforts to assist students in locating an appropriate company at which to intern, but it is ultimately the student's responsibility to find a sponsoring company. It is required to get approval by the faculty.

Q. What are suitable subjects for the business project?

A. For Japan / overseas internships, a common topic is on-the-job training to develop competencies required for a specific job in the company's industry, or making a proposal to improve job performance.
For the in-company project, it is recommended to determine a subject related to a problem that is expected to be solved by a student for his or her company, such as "Establishing an education system in a multi-national company," "Data analysis of groups of customer profiles," "Constructing an ISO management system," and so forth.

Q. What type of visa will I hold during an overseas internship? Is there any restriction or condition based on age to engage in the overseas internship?

A. If you wish to participate in the internship program in the U.S., you will hold a J-1 visa, which in principle has no age restrictions. If you will engage in the internship in China, you will be required to obtain a similar visa which allows you to participate in an internship.

Q. Regarding the in-company project, what if the project plan I submitted at the beginning of the program is no longer possible due to a change in my status or position within my organization? Is it possible to change my project plan?

A. Yes. The final in-company project plan must be submitted before you begin the project and can be decided by you and your chief advisor and mentor.

Q. Approximately how much money will be required for participation in an overseas internship?

A. First of all, you should understand that there is no cost or pay involved between the participating student and the company providing the internship (the company will charge no fee from the student and will offer no salary either). However, there will be some fees involved in obtaining proper visas and other documentations. As for cost of living expenses, much will depend on the host country and the area to stay (city or rural area). There are some ways to lessen the financial burden, such as participating in a homestay program. Also, as the period for internship is set for April through June, it is recommended that each student reserves tickets early for discount rates on airfares.